Cuanach’s Stone Marker in place
Another small milestone in the trail building is reached as Cuanach’s stone marker is put in place.
Pictured are John Dempsey and Jim Mythen both of whom have played a huge role in building the trail. Jim’s son Patrick has also given access to Bessy Breen’s lane.
The story of An Cuanach (Old man Cooney) is a barometer of the feeling of the local people around Oulart and surrounding districts in late May, 1798. Having died, the family of An Cuanach were afraid to wake him in the house for fear of the yeomanary (who should have been the lawkeepers) and instead waked the body in a open field which to this day is referred to as the Wake field.